Old Red Schoolhouse: Clancy, circa 1900
PHOTO INFORMATION (Home Header)-
The Jefferson County Museum is located in the historic "Old Red Schoolhouse" (ORSH) in Clancy.
The ORSH was built in 1898, opening for classes in 1899. It served as the primary school (grades 1-8) until a new school was erected in 1993.
The ORSH was the second school erected in Clancy. The first school was referred to as the "Little School on the Hill". It operated from 1874 until 1898. That building is currently home to St. John's Catholic Church and All Saints Lutheran church.
Initially, the ORSH only had two classrooms, an office for the teachers and a coat room. It also had a grandeur bell tower located above the office. The bell cord could be accessed from a small cupboard in the entryway. The tower was removed following damage sustained from an earthquake in 1935.
The building has undergone numerous renovations and additions over the years. The first steps were wooden, but were soon replaced by brick and granite. (In 2019, when the current stairs were constructed, the brick steps were found buried under the previous cement stairs.) The original red brick exterior was eventually covered with stucco when the bricks began deteriorating.